Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 55

Thread: Co-Workers Who Think AG is Racist..... Need Help!

  1. #21
    JenniferRobin
    Guest JenniferRobin's Avatar

    Post

    As for your second question, about another significant event in American history involving a young African-American girl, the only one that even comes to mind right now is Rosa Parks, and I don't remember exactly how old she was, but ithink it was a little younger than 9.

  2. #22
    JenniferRobin
    Guest JenniferRobin's Avatar

    Post

    Originally posted by likewow:
    I'm guessing these people are white. Wait until your manager tries to organize this "protest" and can't find any people of color who agree with her.

    <font color="#33CCCC"><font size="1">[ March 22, 2006 10:10 AM: Message edited by: likewow ]</font></font>
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I wouldn't be so sure about either of those comments. We need to be careful not to make assumptions.

    <font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ March 22, 2006 11:32 AM: Message edited by: JenniferRobin ]</font>

  3. #23
    Inactive Member Samantha_Nellie_Felicity's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 2nd, 2005
    Posts
    219
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Here's what I think:

    Slavery was a big fault in America. By AG making Addy, it's not poking their head in the sand and forgetting about America (and the world's) wrongdoings. I think Addy is an important addition in any doll collection.

    Just my [img]graemlins/money.gif[/img]

  4. #24
    Dancingfewl423
    Guest Dancingfewl423's Avatar

    Post

    Wow. [img]mad.gif[/img] I was absolutely shocked when I read your post, and now I'm filled with both disgust and anger as to how people could be so ignorant and rude as to view Addy like that.

    Sure AG could have tried another period, such as the Harlem Rennissance or the Civil Rights movement. But because Addy's story is set during the Civil War, it opens up an entirely different chapter of empowerment and bravery.

    As a feminist, I think Addy's story depicts courage, heroism, and valor to the highest degree for both women and for African Americans. Addy's strength to endure hardships with such faith, love, and integrity despite her young age is astounding, and she is truly a role model for girls everywhere of every race, background, and age. Her daring actions were most honorable out of any of those other AG dolls.

    Addy's stories are by far the most exciting, inspiring, and invigorating out of any of the dolls in the collection. It is important for young girls to understand what happened in American history involving slavery to insure respect among everyone and that it never, ever happens again.

    For all she stands for, Addy is truly a symbol American Girl should be undoubtedly the most proud of.

  5. #25
    Inactive Member wiccacat's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 1st, 2006
    Posts
    189
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Didn't Felicity's grandfather have slaves on that plantation? It's been a long time since i read the Felicity books but i don't remember it being spelled out. If not i wish it was mentioned since it's a sad and shameful, but still true, part of history.

  6. #26
    Inactive Member cami713's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2005
    Posts
    1,375
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Didn't Felicity's grandfather have slaves on that plantation? It's been a long time since i read the Felicity books but i don't remember it being spelled out. If not i wish it was mentioned since it's a sad and shameful, but still true, part of history.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes, he did. I don't think it's flat out said "This is so-and-so, one of our slaves," but it's quite clear. In the "Peak into the Past" of Felicity Saves the Day, they talk about slaves during the 1700's, saying "The owner of a plantation... might have a few to 100 slaves...." In the new Felicity mystery, it's clear that the slaves were, sadly, part of the "property" that Felicity's family inherited when Grandfather died. There's a stable hand who Felicity is friendly with, and a few others are mentioned.

    Felicity's family also has Rose, "the cook and maidservant." Honestly, I'm not sure if that's a nicer way of saying "slave," but the "servant" part makes me hopeful that she was a servant. There's also Marcus, "The man who helps Mr. Merriman at home and at the store."

    I think the inclusion of Isaac, the free black that Ben and Lissie are friends with (See Happy Birthday, Felicity!) is a great way of presenting two different sides.

    Like you, I'm proud of AG for keeping this in there, as everyone has said in this thread, slavery was a horrible thing, but if we forget about it, we're hardly going to teach younger generations about the past, if we try to forget about these things. I wish it wasn't true, and in my mind, Felicity's family doesn't have slaves, but it was true of the time.

  7. #27
    Inactive Member mom4four's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 19th, 2003
    Posts
    86
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    When Leslie was in 1st grade her teacher brought in Addy and read 3 of the stories aloud. I don't think it would have of affected my child in the same way if it hadn't been Addy. I think the kids fell in love with Addy, because in some ways she was just like them she loved her family etc. I don't think they would have been as emotionally involved in the story if it had just said "kids" were treated this way . I think those books have done alot to educate children on the travesties of the past. Also didn't Oprah even promote Addy. When we went to the opening of Freedom Center here in Cincinnati I saw Addys everywhere. I think they are a symbol of courage to yong AA girls. Being hispanic I know how terrible it was growing up in the early 70s and not having many play dolls that represented me, I think that it's great that AG offers so many ethnic choices. HOWEVER I am disappointed in the choice of characters for the movies. I understand Samantha being first as she is their best selling doll and maybe even Felicity being next as they needed to boost her sales, but I really hope that poor Addy is not being overlooked because they think an AA doll may not be as big a seller, I guess I will wait to see who comes after Molly before I pass judgement on that.

  8. #28
    AG Crazy in Wyoming
    Guest AG Crazy in Wyoming's Avatar

    Post

    When a person(s) kindly asks you to explain something to them or help them to better understand, by all means-teach them what you know. Don't expect them to agree however [img]wink.gif[/img] . When someone demands you "prove" something, they aren't interested in being taught. Spend your time more wisely. Kiss a child, donate to charity, do shelter work. These are learning and giving tools that the world needs more of.
    JIMO ~Bugs

  9. #29
    Sweet_Sweet_Goo
    Guest Sweet_Sweet_Goo's Avatar

    Post

    Originally posted by Taffy Cheerful:
    It is often said, "Failure to study history only prepares you for future repeats of the same result," and since sooooo many people do not grasp the lessons of their history, I would offer, "History teaches that we do not learn from history..."

    Taffy
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">"Those who don't know their history are doomed to repeat 11th grade......."
    - James W. Leowen (Author of 'Lies Across America' the sequel to his other great book 'Lies My Teacher Taught Me' and the author to many more classics)
    I really think everyone should read some of his books too!

    But seriously, I'm proud of AG for not watering down American history.
    I guess it's just too much for some people to handle........

  10. #30
    GreyMyst
    Guest GreyMyst's Avatar

    Post

    I live in Los Angeles too, and I've heard the SAME stuff from acquaintances. Political correctness is out of hand here IMO. It's almost as if admitting you have any differences is some kind of affront.

    A lot of people had concerns when Addy first came out. Pleasant Company sent a video out to educators, librarians, and bookstores. It introduced Addy, explained why they made her time period when they did, explained more about the character, and had an interview with the author, Connie Porter.

    Realistic AA dolls are hard to find, and Addy is realistic to the point she makes some people uncomfortable. She's more like a real girl than a 2 dimensional caricature. Sometimes the most beautiful stories come out of making the best of the situations you've been dealt. Some people can't deal with that and IMO that's their problem.

    Addy WAS a slave, for a little under half of one book... There's also 5 other books, where she's just an ordinary girl. She was hurt by slavery, but she also didn't let it become who she is. Regardless of anything else, she is a strong independant girl who is also African American.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •